Monday, May 16, 2011

Terraria: First Thoughts

Terraria is an indie game that came out just today, well yesterday for most of you. It costs 9.99$ on Steam. Let me star off by saying this. This game is so amusing.

I found it by someone mentioning "It's kind of a 2d Minecraft." My interest immediately drew me to buying this cheep game. It does share similarities but this game is less about building things and more about surviving and exploring. There is so much to do and I actaully haven't even scratched it yet.

It did take me a while to get used to jumping with space instead of w in a sidescroller like this. Placing some things like torches is a bit awkward sometimes but nothing game breaking. There are a lot of interesting enemies (that have killed me so many times.)

There isn't much to say about the graphics, they're 2d sprites. Good looking sprite though. The gameplay is nice and pretty solid. There are a lot of fun things to do in this game. Building, exploring, and fighting.

For a game that I got for only ten bucks, this is lovely. It's creative but still working. If you liked minecraft you will most likely like this. I'd recommend this to anyone who nostalgia for old style 2d sidescrollers, those who have fun with Minecraft, or those who like experimentally indie games.

22 comments:

  1. I like minecraft so let me check this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. kinda a 2d minecraft? will have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. isnt minecraft already 2d...
    9.99 maybe i might give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... o.0 No? 2d in the sense of graphics. Minecraft is 3d game like Mario 64 or Halo or something. Terraria is a 2d game like Mega Man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nostalgic, will wait for some reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah planting flower could be useful!
    Gonna have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if it turns out to be rubbish, $10 is hardly gonna break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent months playing minecraft,gonna have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good idea. Once I finish my coursework and get some money I may buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I heard about this game. Not really my fancy to be honest. Thanks for the info though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks interesting, and it does kinda look like Minecraft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting, I might check it out when I've got the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. always play minecraft in school

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol its a minecraft killer

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks old, but looks kinda fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds interesting.... but I don't have 10 bucks

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can sure go for a Minecraft clone. Checking it out soon.

    PS: I was born in Aiea. Moved to St. Louis, MO though when I was really young. I miss Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been playing the game more and I am having fun, not in a minecraft kind of way but similar.

    Yeah, Hawai'i is a place to miss, no matter how hard it is to make a living here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ohh yaaa im coming off a minecraft binge RIGHT in time for this hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Getting a four pack - very excited for this game!

    ReplyDelete