Monday, May 16, 2011

DnD

So yesterday I made a post about DnD. Most people made posts asking about it. I find table top roleplaying to be more enjoyable than most games now-a-days. People might find it confusing but everything is based off of your imagination. There is no limit to what you can do. Well it helps to have a good DM. Want to randomly climb a building, sure. Want to start a bar fight (teehee), why not.

Most people consider it nerdy but the only thing nerdy about it is the medieval fantasy setting, there are more table top roleplaying games than DnD. I know of one based around mechas, one based around real life combat. There are just so many. They also don't want to play it because it's confusing. It's actaully pretty straight forward. Yes it does require you to think a little but that's mostly thinking and using problem solving skills to get through things your DM sets up.

Unlike playing Final Fantasy where you're stuck to what the game allows, the sheer possibility of DnD and table top roleplaying games as a whole is just crazy. I think we've just become complacent with our games now-a-days. Not used to really thinking. I think that's why I feel portal is so awesome. What would you do in a point where you are placed in front of a lizard village in a game? Well in Dnd you can do anything, even just walk away and do something else.

You also might have troubles finding a group to play with but the amazing thing about today is the internet. My group consists of a chap in England, our DM and and another guy on the east coast, a guy in California, and me in Hawai'i. The time differnce is our only trouble (which require me to get up early and the first guy to stay up a little later) but it's nothing that we didn't easily settle in ten minutes.

There are several things you can do to play DnD online but the way we do it is with Gametable and Skype. Gametable is used for the pogs and game board while with skype you can make free group calls. Gametable does have a built in dice roller if you can't trust people or you can do what my group does and work off the trust system. After that just find people online who want to play. There are plenty of forums, resources, or possibly some friend of yours online are more willing than real life friends.

Oh by the way I play 4e, in case you wondered.

11 comments:

  1. maratón ever heard of it? it's my fav table top game of all times

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a time, me and 4 friends of mine tried to play, one kid before we even started got up and said this is stupid. We never were able to play an actual game of it. I really should give it a try, you make it sound more fun than I had with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never really got to play table top games that much when I was little. This looks interesting, thanks for summing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do a review of your favourite editions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I've never thought of using Skype and playing DnD online with other people, sounds very awkward but I think I could get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll try and find some people to play with online. I'm really, REALLY interested in playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I didn't realize you were playing with people over the internet! That's a really clever use of Skype, actually.

    And ugh, totally know that feeling with our time zone being sooo behind - when I played WoW, I was always converting raid time to my time, & hating that it was SO early!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The freedom to do what ever I want i what keeps me coming back time and time again to DnD. You'll simply never get that in a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never really got into DnD. With that being said, I do appreciate the gameplay being different from gameplays nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've played Descent and Doom from Fantasy Flight Games, I thought it was something alike DnD, going on quests and all. But you don't have to use your own imagination. It's still a boardgame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice I always thought DnD was a game that you would only be able to play with local people. Hmm the last tabletop game that I remember playing had to be Life.

    ReplyDelete