Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A quick mention - Ease of broswing

I don't know what most bloggers here use but I use the html editor. I've noticed though a lot of links on blogs open in self:

"<a href="link here" target="_self">Text here</a>"

is also

"<a href="link here">Text here</a>"

That command cause the the link to open on the tab your on, so the person has to either "right click>open in new tab" or hit the back button. By default a href tag is target="_self".

To make it easier for people to browse you blog (or not accidentally close the tab and not care about your blog) target="_blank" works so much better.

"<a href="link here" target="_blank">Text here</a>"

This opens it in a new window or tab depending on the person settings (I currently have Fire Fox to open new windows in tabs.)

Another thing that took me a few posts to figure out you can use the read more by putting <!-- more --> and that's where the post will end and show "Read More" so you don't have seven twelve paragraph showing on your main blog page.

Just a quick HTML thing for those who didn't realize, though the read more thing is blogger specific I think. Hopefully this makes your blog easier to browse.

7 comments:

  1. lol what does any of this even mean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, do you use the HTML editor? Or have any experience in HTML?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great post, I didn't know that having only just started. Thanks a lot, I'm very grateful for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the target=blank tip, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it's something I'm doing daily. Adding pictures, blogger auto shrinks it down to 400x even when my option is BIG and I have room for 500x, the 400x picture is click-able and will open the bigger one in _self. So it requires modification every time :P Guess this may be helpful for some bloggers. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, thanks for the notes man. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow thats alot more easy than i thought. i hope you can inform a bit more about that matter, because im building a website myself

    ReplyDelete