Saturday, May 21, 2011

The controllers.

So as I stated the controllers arrived, what are my thoughts on them, well read on to see.


NES Controller


The packaging is good, they also wrapped the USB plug to keep it from getting damaged, which is a nice touch. The controller is also pretty good. Feels like how it should, to me at least. Its cord is really long too. The box says 1.8m but dang it feels longer. This might be useful for some people, though for me a short cord isn't bad either. Front USB ports with the computer only a foot away from me.

I played several games with it (that I learned I suck horribly at.) After dieing on the first stage of contra some where upwards of fifteen times I decided to try out Mega Man 1 (which I also suck at). I play using nestopia. Mapping the controller was extremely simple and easy. On Windows 7 64bit it worked plug and play. I've had no trouble with it at all. Though I do have to wonder, were my hands seriously that small that they fit this thing back then? XD

You can buy this controller off amazon for 13.39$ here:
Classic USB NES Controller for PC

SNES Controller


This controller is also packaged nicely. The USB is not covered but that's nothing major. The cord is approximately 5ft long according to the box, again not an issue for me. The controller feels a little cheap, but I don't even remember what a real SNES controller feels like, and it's not like it feels like it'll break in my hands. The left joypad feel like I have to apply pressure down on it, but it's also new so it's not broken in, and it's actaully not really noticeable unless you lightly tap buttons. The L and R buttons click really loud, but if I remember right the original did too.

Again a plug and play controller no hassle. I'm using ZNES and no problems mapping the controls. I've tried it out with several games (that I also found I suck at) including Starfox and Mario Cart. I also found a couple of games I'm decent at, CIV 1 and Super Mario RPG (actually open right now). It seems to be holding up really well. I still wonder. Were my hands seriously that small? Dear god.

You can buy this controller of Amazon for 11.44$ here:
Classic USB Super Nintendo Controller for PC

Perhaps the next things I'll get are a N64 controller and a USB adapter for that, a Sega USB controller, and a Atari USB controller. For now I'll stick with the controllers I have so far.

30 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't seen a nes controller for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow those are awesome. Definitely going to have to get me some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha very nice, that NES controller is so classic. European SNES had niftier colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The controllers are very nice. do you have the N64 usb converter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MAN! I NEED THESE IN MY LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should get a NES controller like that to play on my emulator games :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the SNES one! I wonder if there's a Genesis USB controller out there (I'm sure there is)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes there is a Sega USB controller :) I never played that as much as a kid so that's more a "if I have the money to burn"

    No I don't have the N64 USB controller adapter D: I might get one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man this is good to know. Might get one now. But i want a N64 one first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. snes controller was basic but it was alright. you could do everything you needed to and thtas it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the old classy square controllers. :)
    Reminds me of times when I played nintendo. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get those?
    I want to get one too. XD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wait, I got so excited when I saw the pictures that I didn't read. haha
    I will be getting myself one now. haha Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking of getting an n64 adapter for smash bros online soon. There are a lot of shitty ones that don't work properly, from what I've heard, so you have to watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I smiled when i saw this post. My friend JUST got an NES and SNES usb controller. I heard there are some with a gig or so of flash mem to store the emulator/games right on the controller!

    ReplyDelete
  16. id love these for emulators!
    followd! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. seems like a fantastic idea. I'd love to try play portal 2 on one of these

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually have that other USB controller that you have, it's cool to see I'm not the only person who has it. I had trouble mapping the buttons on it though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw some of those on a website I frequent a lot.

    Classic controllers, ftw.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still have my original NES just gotta clean the connectors soon
    follow back

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look like decent and high quality controllers

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend bought an SNES a little while ago. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice review, they do look sweet. To think as a kid those things were huge, now they're so tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hah! I wish I had such controllers here you know? That is really neat!

    ReplyDelete