Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Divebomber Pushup

This push up is by far my favorite one. I learned it from a guy that really helped me when I first started training, I learned a lot from him. This push up instead of the static up and down adds a clockwise or counter clock wise rotation to the mix. This, as far as I can tell, works out the shoulders more and I'm going to guess helps your shoulder joints. It also works your forearm a little. Read on for the tutorial on how to do them.


The first step is a normal push-up plank. This is quite self explanatory.


From the first step you push up and back raising your butt into the air. Keep your feet in the same place.


After you reach the second step you drop down. Your elbows can tap the floor, but don't let them support you.


Now you press forward into a down pushup plank position.


The final position is pushing back up into a pushup plank. You have now went full circle and can go back to step two an keep going until you drop.

You can also do this exercise counter clockwise too, just do everything in the reverse order. Good luck and try hard. Success only comes to those who drive towards it.

Here is a video of me doing this exercise:

25 comments:

  1. Ah yeah, these are great. I just recently began incorporating them into my routine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pushup, it's kinda fun :P If you really want to try and push yourself, try doing it with the diamond hand position, like this http://i.imgur.com/RMLPs.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This with the diamonds hand placement? That never came to mind, seems really awkward seeing as your elbows come down.

    Okay just did them. That was strange, a little harder but not by much, worked the back of my bicep more is the main thing I noticed. Lovely idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen these, might add these to my routines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of these either. Will try it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are easy than standard one but work more muscles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh come now, it's not that bad :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. ive known them since long, its a variation of the indian push up

    ReplyDelete
  9. They used to make us do does when I was in tekowndo it gets intense

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I just tried these, they have a good burn to them thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, like the person above me just said, it seems like a variation of the Indian push up. Regardless, it still seems like a bitch to do haha. Once I stop my cardio workouts and start on strength training, I'll incorporate these into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only known them for a couple of years. I also don't know every exercise so sometimes my names and origins can be off :) Thanks for the information though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great info, good stuff to know since Im just starting back at the gym. thx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a brutal and great way to end an upper body work out. Yay for compound exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  15. man that look brutal but i bet it gets result faster

    ReplyDelete
  16. we did these in school, i hated them so much

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well they do get nice results, but I wouldn't say faster as they work slightly different muscles than a pushup.

    Oh? I love these personally. Then again I find joy in exercising in general.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks. Sounds like really good exorcise. I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great way to show off at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do these make pecs bigger? I do normal style ones which idk what the hell their doing but its cool.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you want to build any kind of bulk you should be looking at weight training. I'm pretty sure pushups and most pushup variations work the pecs, but I wouldn't say you'd get large pecs without major weight training.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks complicated as hell, but might be worth it.

    ReplyDelete